If you’ve been injured on the job in Kansas City, Missouri, you may be wondering what to expect when you see the doctor chosen by your employer’s insurance company.
Let’s discuss what you should know and 5 easy ways to prepare for your first appointment with your workers’ comp doctor.
Do I Get To Choose My Doctor After a Work Injury in Missouri?
No. Under Missouri law, your employer and/or their workers’ compensation insurance company can generally choose which doctor you have to see after your injury.
There is a statute that allows you to choose your own doctor after your injury. However, if you do this, you will generally have to pay for treatment out-of-pocket. Your workers’ compensation insurance benefits will not cover treatment if you choose your own doctor.
What To Expect From Your First Doctor’s Appointment After Your Injury
While the process may differ somewhat depending on your situation and the severity of your injury, most doctor’s visits after a workplace injury will follow the same basic steps. Here’s are 5 easy ways you can prepare.
- Be prepared to provide information about your medical history – You’ll need to tell your doctor about your current and past medical conditions and surgeries, medications you’re taking, other treatments you’re undergoing, and all other relevant information.
- Be prepared to discuss the injury and circumstances – Next, you will discuss the specifics of your injury, such as the date it happened or the date you noticed it, how it happened, your symptoms, and other such details. Be honest and transparent, and tell the truth about your accident and your injuries. Exaggerating or failing to disclose information could hurt your case and may even disqualify you from benefits in some cases.
- Examination and diagnosis – Your doctor may perform a wide variety of physical examinations as well as imaging like x-rays, MRIs, or CT scan to determine the extent of your injury and diagnose you. The specifics depend on the type and severity of your condition.
- Developing a treatment plan – Your doctor will develop a treatment plan to treat your condition, mitigate its symptoms, and help you reach Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI). This may include physical therapy, surgery, medications, and a variety of other treatments.
- Further scheduling and/or referrals – Once your treatment plan has been developed, you will be scheduled for further medical treatment. You may also receive referrals to other medical providers like physical therapists or surgeons. Make sure to follow your treatment plan to get the care you need as you heal and recover from your work injury.
Speak With a Kansas City Workers Compensation Attorney
At The Law Office of James M. Hoffmann, our team of experienced Kansas City workers’ compensation attorneys has helped injured workers across the state of Missouri get the medical treatment and benefits they deserve after a work injury.
If you are not getting the medical care you need, are experiencing other issues getting workers’ compensation benefits after a work injury, or want to ensure you are getting all of the benefits you are entitled to, we’re here to help. Contact us 24/7 for a free, no-obligation case review.
Get FREE Legal Advice
Call today to speak with an experienced Missouri workers compensation attorney!