How Can I File a Workers Compensation Claim in Missouri?

If someone gets injured in an accident at work, he/she is entitled to benefits under the workers compensation program.

Kansas City Work Comp ClaimInjuries in the workplace are a common occurrence in the United States, and Missouri is no exception. If someone gets injured in an accident at work, he/she is entitled to benefits under the workers compensation program. However, the Kansas City workers compensation system can be quite confounding to an injured worker or his family. To help workers understand the workers compensation system better, Kansas City workers compensation attorneys have offered answers to some common questions faced by injured workers.

How do I figure out if I’m covered under workers compensation or not?

Under Missouri law, all employers are required to purchase workers compensation insurance. Every business that employs 5 or more people is required to have workers compensation insurance to cover their employees. The rules are different for businesses in the construction sector. They are supposed to carry insurance even if they are employing just one person. So, with only a few exceptions, all employees are covered under the workers compensation program.

When should I file workers compensation claim?

When you get injured at your workplace, you should immediately inform your employer about it. Failure to notify your employer within 30 days of the accident may jeopardize your chances of getting a claim.

Once you have notified your employer about the injury, he would then have to file an injury report with the Missouri Division of Workers’ Compensation. The employee would also be required to file a workers compensation claim with the Missouri Division of Workers’ Compensation within two years of the accident. In case the employer fails to submit the injury report in time, the employee will get another year to file the claim.

What if I am no longer able to work because of injury?

Injured employees who are no longer able to return to work are entitled to total disability benefits. If the injury has limited the ability to perform specific tasks, but you can still work in some other capacity, you will be entitled to receive permanent partial disability benefits. Injured workers are entitled to temporary total disability benefits if they are not able to return to work during the course of treatment. They can claim temporary partial disability benefits if they cannot perform their regular duties, but are able to perform modified or restricted duty at partial pay.

Can I lose my job if I file workers compensation claim?

Under Missouri law, no employee can be fired from job just because he files a workers compensation claim. In fact, if a worker has been fired, suspended, demoted, or disciplined by the employer after he filed workers compensation claim, he can get in touch with Kansas workers compensation attorneys to discuss the legal options, and if the attorney feels it is suitable, he will suggest you to file a wrongful termination lawsuit.

Do I need a Kansas workers compensation attorney to file my case?

Workers compensation claims can be quite confusing, and may present various complications. Kansas City workers compensation lawyers can assess all the unique factors associated with your case, and help get the rightful claim that you deserve.

Please call (816) 399-3706 or complete our Online Case Evaluation Form.

Updated: December 18, 2020

Leave a Comment