Floor markings can help prevent workplace injuries by directing traffic, identifying hazards, and marking safe zones.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration( OSHA) requires employers to provide a safe workplace for their employees. This includes protecting workers from workplace hazards and ensuring that they have access to the necessary safety equipment and information.
One way to create a safe work environment is to use floor markings. Floor markings are lines, symbols, or other markings placed on the floor to indicate where people should walk, stand, or work. They are often used to direct traffic, identify hazards, and mark safe zones.
Here’s a closer look at how floor markings can be used to improve safety and efficiency in your workplace.
Safety Benefits Offered by Workplace Floor Markings
Brings Attention to Site-Specific Hazards and Procedures
Floor markings can be used to highlight areas where there are potential hazards, such as wet floors or trip hazards. This is especially important in areas with a lot of foot traffic, such as hallways and doorways.
Reduces Wasted Time and Streamlines Processes
Floor markings can be used to indicate the most efficient routes through a work area. This includes marking the location of stairs, elevators, and other key points. They can also be used to create one-way traffic patterns or to indicate areas where specific tasks should be performed.
Supports Emergency Preparedness
In an emergency, floor markings can be used to direct people to safety exits and assembly points. They can also indicate the location of fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and other important safety equipment.
Reinforces Important Messages and Makes Work Areas Easier to Understand
Every work area is different, and it can be difficult for employees to remember all the safety procedures that apply. Floor markings can be used to remind employees of important safety messages, such as “no smoking” or “wear protective gear.” They can also be used to make work areas easier to understand, such as by marking where hazardous materials should be stored.
Directs the Flow of Traffic Within the Facility
In a busy workplace, it’s important to keep foot traffic moving efficiently and safely. Floor markings can be used to direct people to the appropriate exits and to create traffic flow patterns that avoid hazards and congestion.
Why Employers/Businesses Use Floor Tape to Enhance Worker Safety
One of the commonly used products to create floor markings is floor tape. Floor tape is a versatile and affordable product that can mark floors, work equipment, pipes, and walls. It is available in a variety of colors, and it is very easy to use.
Floor tape is also highly reflective, which makes it easier for people to see in low-light conditions. This is an important safety feature, as it can help people avoid potential hazards.
That being said, here’s how to make effective floor markings:
- Use Contrasting Colors: Floor markings should be created with colors that contrast with the color of the surface on which they will be applied. This will make them more visible and easier to see.
- Use Bright Colors: Floor markings should be created with bright colors that are easy to see. This will help people avoid potential hazards.
- Make Sure the Markings Are Visible: Floor markings should be applied in a way that makes them visible from all angles. This will help people see the markings and avoid potential hazards.
- Use Proper Signage: Floor markings should be accompanied by proper signage. This will help people understand the meaning of the markings and take the appropriate action.
- Apply the Markings Properly: Floor markings should be applied in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. This will ensure that the markings are applied properly and will last a long time.
Injured in a Work-Related Accident?
If you’ve been injured in an accident at work, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Our experienced Missouri workers’ comp attorneys have represented injured workers for over 30 years and know how to get them the compensation they deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Get FREE Legal Advice
Call today to speak with an experienced Missouri workers compensation attorney!